Historical Museum of Bolton Landing

The Bolton Historical Museum opened its doors in 1971. The Museum building, a former church, was built in 1890 and underwent several additions and extensive renovation before it was deeded to the Town of Bolton in 1987.

The Museum is filled with photographs and exhibits which feature hotels, old tools, boats, ice harvesting equipment, local businesses, steamboats, camping, ice boats, vintage clothing, lakeside mansions, farm implements, schools and families. Many of our historic photographs were taken by Seneca Ray Stoddard and Fred Thatcher.

A Smith-Granger rowboat, which was built in Bolton around 1900, has recently been donated to the museum, and John Apperson’s famous Morris canoe has been loaned to us for long-term display. We are also proud to display a steel sculpture by famed local artist David Smith.

2005 features an exhibit on David Smith, known by critic in the art world as America’s finest 20th Century steel Sculptor.  David lived quietly in the hills of Bolding Landing from 1940 until his untimely death in 1965 at the age of 59.  Today David’s sculptures are scattered around the world in major museums and private collections.  Only a few remain in Bolton Landing, but his creative presence is still felt here where he left an everlasting legacy for all of us to appreciate and enjoy.

Open Daily July 2 to Labor Day

Monday through Saturday
9 AM – 2 PM
7 PM – 9 PM

Sunday
11 AM – 4 PM

Spring and Fall Hours

Weekends Only
11 AM – 4 PM